’Roman theatre in Orange.’
The 37 m high back wall (sceanea frons) of the Roman theatre in the town of Orange was refitted with a roof in 2006, after having been roofless for 1600 years. Unlike the original wooden roof the modern one is constructed of steel, glass and textile, which is a lot stronger. In this way the roof not only protects the ancient heritage but can also be used for suspending theatre lighting. To achieve good acoustics a layer of sound absorbing textile has been placed beneath the glass panes of the roof.
The theatre was built between A.D 10 and 25 (during the rule of Emperor Augustus) and is on the World Heritage List of the UNESCO. Photo Paul Smit.