’Romanesque capital in Loarre Castle.’
A group of lions adorns a capital in the apse of the Romanesque church of San Pedro in Loarre Castle. The castle of Loarre crowns a great outcrop of rock that juts out of the Pyrenean foothills north of the city of Huesca. The central core of the castle was built in 1020-1035 by king Sancho III of Navarra (and ruler of the emergent kingdom of Aragon) to protect his territory from the Moors in Huesca. In 1071 king Sancho Ramirez of Aragon extended the castle with a fortified (Augustinian) monastery and a church. Photo Mick Palarczyk.