'Nympf and cherub, Water Parterre, Palace of Versailles.'
Two Water Parterres are situated in front of the Palace of Versailles. These rectangular pools reflect the sunlight towards the façade of the Hall of Mirrors. André Le Nôtre, chief garden architect of Louis XIV, regarded light as an element of the decor, in the same way as the plants This nymph with cupid is situated at the southern pool and is made from bronze in the workshop of Hans Johann-Balthazar Keller vom Steinbock, between 1685 and 1688, after the design of Jean-Melchior Raon. Photo Paul Smit.