’Castillo de La Mota in Medina del Campo.’
Circular turrets crown the keep of the Castillo de La Mota, located on a hill just east of Medina del Campo (Valladolid province). The oldest part of the current castle dates from around 1200 when the Castilian king Alfonso VIII built his modest castle on the remains of a Moorish villa. It was enlarged during 13th - 15th century and Moorish (Mudejar) masons were employed for the brickwork, just as in the castle of Coca, further east. Photo Mick Palarczyk.