’Castle-abbey of Montearagón.’
The castle of Montearagón occupies a summit in the Pyrenean foothills 5 km east of the city of Huesca. The castle was constructed by king Sancho Ramirez of Aragon in 1086 to act as a base from which to conquer Huesca, which was in Moorish hands at the time. After the conquest of the city in 1096 the castle was given to the Augustian monks who used it as a fortified abbey for more than 7 centuries. It was confiscated in the 19th century and turned into a powder magazine. When this magazine exploded the castle was destroyed and never rebuilt. Behind the castle we see the Crags of San Miguel. Photo Mick Palarczyk.