In 1757 Christian Ludwig II, duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, moved his residence and court from the city of Schwerin to his hunting lodge. Here he erected a baroque court town that still exists today, expanded by the classicist expansions of his successors. The hunting lodge made place for a huge palace dating from the late Baroque, surrounded by an equally huge park. A century later the famous landscape architect Lenné transformed it into a romantic English landscape park, offering beautiful views on the landscapes, the waterworks and of course the palace. The only thing he left untouched were the straight canals of the original baroque design, as he was fond of the 100 year old trees growing alongside them. Which have grown another 150 years older since then... Photo Paul Smit.