’Ávila seen from the north.’
With the Sierra de Gredos in the background Ávila lies on a high plain, surrounded by two kilometers of medieval town walls and 88 towers. The walls were constructed around 1090, when the Castilian king Alfonso VI reconquered Muslim territory south of the Duero river. They replaced an earlier Roman fortification. The city was declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1985. Photo Mick Palarczyk.