First courtyard of the Wartburg.
[GERMANY.THUERINGEN 30304] The first courtyard of the Wartburg is overseen (on the right) by the Bailiff's lodge (Vogtei), in which the famous Luther Room is located. The oriel was attached in 1872 but originates from a 15th century structure in Nuremberg. On the left we see the Margarethengang.
The Wartburg is a medieval castle situated on a hill south of the city of Eisenach. The castle's foundation was laid about 1067 by the Thuringian Count of Schauenburg, Ludwig der Springer.
From May 1521 to March 1522, Martin Luther stayed at the castle under the name of Junker Jörg , after he had been taken there for his safety at the request of Friedrich der Weise (Frederick the Wise) following his excommunication by Pope Leo X. Photo Mick Palarczyk.