'Three children in bronze, Water Parterre, Palace of Versailles.'
Two Water Parterres are situated in front of the Palace of Versailles. These rectangular pools reflect the sunlight towards the façade of the Hall of Mirrors. André Le Nôtre, chief garden architect of Louis XIV, regarded light as an element of the decor, in the same way as the plants. This group of children is situated at the northern pool and is made from bronze in the workshop of Hans Johann-Balthazar Keller vom Steinbock, between 1685 and 1694, after the design of Jacques Buirette and François Lespingola. Photo Paul Smit.