’Castle of Loarre.’
The castle of Loarre crowns a great outcrop of rock that juts out of the Pyrenean foothills north of the city of Huesca. The central core of the castle was built in 1020-1035 by king Sancho III of Navarra (and ruler of the emergent kingdom of Aragon) to protect his territory from the Moors in Huesca. In 1071 king Sancho Ramirez of Aragon extended the castle with a fortified (Augustinian) monastery and church, whose semicircular apse is visible on the left hand side of the building. The outer wall with circular defense towers was added in 1287. The castle was abandoned in the 15th century and has survived the centuries relatively untouched due to its inaccessibility. Photo Mick Palarczyk.