[GERMANY.THUERINGEN 30413] The Kramerbrücke (Merchants' bridge) in Erfurt is a medieval bridge, which is lined with inhabited timber-framed houses on both sides. The bridge is first mentioned in 1117. After a fire it was rebuilt in stone in 1325 with uninhabited timber-framed trading stalls on top of it. At both bridgeheads stone churches with gated entrance-ways were erected of which only the St. Aegidien Church remains (seen on the left). After a fire in 1472, which destroyed the market stalls on the bridge, it was reconstructed in its current form with 62 three-storey timber-framed houses. Photo Mick Palarczyk.
germanythueringenerfurtoutdoorsmedievalarchitectureno peopletimber framedhousebridgefacadechurchriverhorizontal photo