[GERMANY.THUERINGEN 30418] The Renaissance mansion 'Zum Stockfisch' in Erfurt was built in 1607 by the rich Waidhändler (woad merchan)t Paul Ziegler. The building, which is located in the Johannesstrasse, nowadays houses the Stadtmuseum.
Medieval Erfurt owed a lot of its prosperity to the production of a blue dye, which was extracted from woad (Isatis tinctoria), a flowering plant in the family Brassicaceae.
Many of the woad merchants in Erfurt held the right to brew beer. When they wanted to advertise that they were serving freshly brewed beer on their premises, they inserted bundles of straw into round holes in the facade, which were specially made for this purpose. Two of these holes can be seen here above the arch of the entrance. Photo Mick Palarczyk.
germanythueringenerfurtoutdoorsarchitectureno peoplegatefacadehouseornamentwindowhorizontal photo