’Between cathedral and theatre.’
Orange is a small town with only 30.000 inhabitants. The old centre lies wedged between the enormous back wall of the Roman theatre and the cathedral, the roof of which provides the viewpoint for this picture. Between AD 1622 and 1673 the now wooded Hill of St.Eutrope, visible in the background, was crowned by one of the largest castles of Europe. It was built by the Dutch stadtholder Maurits, Prince of Orange, to defend the town and the freedom of religion it offered to French Protestants (Huguenots) who flocked to the town. Photo Paul Smit.